Variation of existing licence

If you need to change the conditions on your existing licence, you will need to apply for a variation. We recommend that you apply for a variation at the time of licence renewal to reduce costs.

Before you make an application

While you are applying for a licence, you may need our advice. Please get in touch and make an appointment at least a day in advance to see us.

You should apply to Hutt City Council (your local District Licensing Committee) only if your business is based within the boundaries of Lower Hutt. This includes Wainuiomata, Petone and Eastbourne.

Apply for Certificate of Use

You will have to get a Certificate of Use from us prior to making a licence application. This certificate is required to be attached to your licence application.

  1. To make an application for Certificate of Use, fill in the following form:
    Application for a Certificate of Use (PDF 82 kb)
  2. Submit the appropriate fee for your application.

A Certificate of Use will not be granted for the following reasons:

  • If the use of the premise needs a resource consent and it has not been granted
  • If there is a pending Code Compliance Certificate to be issued for the building

Make an application

All licence applications and supporting documentation need to be sent to us in triplicate, on A4 or A3 sized paper only. Documents must not be bound.

  1. When you are ready to make an application, you will need to fill in the following form:
    Application for variation of existing licence form (PDF 279Kb)
  2. If you are applying for a variation at time of your renewal use the following form:
    Application for On-licence/renewal of On-licence form (PDF 615Kb)
    Application for Off-licence/renewal of Off-licence form  (PDF 486Kb)
    Application for Club licence/renewal of Club licence form  (PDF 475Kb)
  3. Submit your new Certificate of Use along with your application. If you haven’t got one, apply for it:
    Certificate of Use form (PDF 82Kb)

Public notification

Once we have checked both the public notification forms, you are required to:

  • Notify the Hutt News – advertised on two separate days
  • Put public notification up on your premises (shop window)

As soon as both your advertisements have been published in the Hutt News, you need to send us the newspaper page with the public notice in it.

Processing your application

Once we have received your completed application, we obtain reports from Police and Regional Public Health. We approve your application if no objection is received. If objections are received your application may require a hearing.

How long will it take?

For a variation , it will take at least six weeks for uncontested applications. If the application is contested it will take considerably longer.

How much does it cost?

Look up our fees framework (PDF 43Kb) to see what your licence may cost.

Do It Here
Pay It
Pay It
Online Payments
Find It
Find It
Get Information
Report It
Report It
Notify us about Issues
Say It
Say It
Give Feedback
Submit It
Submit It
Lodge an application
Join It
Join It
Sign up to services
Contact Us
Get in touch
531 High Street, Lower Hutt
Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
Private Bag 31 912, Lower Hutt 5040
+64 4 570 6666 | 0800 HUTT CITY