Alcohol licences

If you’re selling and supplying alcohol to the public you will need a licence.

Find out here if you need one, and how to go about it if you do.  If you wish to discuss your licence with a Licensing Inspector, you can book an appointment online.

Types of licences you can apply for

Manager's Certificate

A Manager’s Certificate is needed by anyone who intends to be a manager of licensed premises such as a bar, supermarket, hotel, tavern or a club.

Applying for special licences

You will need to apply for a special licence if you are planning to sell and supply alcohol in a one-off event or a series of events.

On-, Off- and Club licence

If you’re selling alcohol to the public you’ll need a licence to do it. Here you will find information about applying for On-, Off- and Club licences.

Variation of existing licence

If you need to change the conditions on your existing licence, you will need to apply for a variation. We recommend that you apply for a variation at the time of licence renewal to reduce costs.

Temporary Authority to operate an alcohol licence

When a new owner purchases licensed premises such as a restaurant or bar, the existing licence is not transferable.

Decisions of the Lower Hutt District Licensing Committee

You can check the list of decisions made on applications submitted under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

Fees and charges

Fees - framework for determining cost/risk rating

Do It Here
Pay It
Pay It
Online Payments
Find It
Find It
Get Information
Report It
Report It
Notify us about Issues
Say It
Say It
Give Feedback
Submit It
Submit It
Lodge an application
Join It
Join It
Sign up to services
Contact Us
Get in touch
531 High Street, Lower Hutt
Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
Private Bag 31 912, Lower Hutt 5040
+64 4 570 6666 | 0800 HUTT CITY